Friday, April 3, 2009

Venezia

Gnome and sherbert colored houses in Burano.
Craziest pigeons I've ever known live in Venice.
Saint Mark's, an impressive and persuasive display of religious architecture.


I'm behind in the blog world and the real world, per usual. But I did develop an idea for a sculpture today that doesn't involve PVC pipe, and I was pretty excited about that. PVC is so expensive in Italy. I'm making a hammock-shaped net of these plastic coffee stirrers that are used by the bundle at my school. I also enjoy grossing out other students by digging through the garbage to find them.

A few weeks ago, I went to Venice with my good friend Ellen. While there, we also visited the tiny islands of Murano and Burano. Murano is known for its glass blowing and Burano for its lace tablecloth making? Yes. Burano was the best - lots of rainbow colored houses and the first place in Italy that I have found lawn gnomes. Venice was interesting, I'm glad that I went there, but I guess I expected less city, more sinking. I'm a big fan of decay.
35 days left!

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you only have a month left. I need to send this letter before you come back.

    Decay is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 35 days left!
    Sounds too happy!
    Things have not changed here.
    We still miss you. Hooray for Venice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should go to Burano and study lace-making... See you in a little more than five weeks.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you liked the house colors in Venice, wait until you get to the Cinque Terre.....amazing! Your mother will absolutely LOVE it!! I think you're staying in the same apartment we stayed in....theh patio sits right out over the rocks/bay. A glass of wine & the sunset -- does it get any better???

    ReplyDelete